One more wonderful image from the 1929-1931 construction of Comerford Dam surfaced recently. This dam was the first on the Connecticut River to be built WITHOUT a sluice gate for logs -- thus marking the physical end to the log drives on the river.
Here's the schedule -- hope to see you there!
8am- 10am : Barnet Preservation group lumberjack breakfast at the Barnet Congregation church
10:00- Festival start time Aden Marcotte opens with his log drive song
Tables: Helen Pike, Paul Keenan, Green Mountain books, Barnet
Historical Society (also selling pies), Barnet Library booksale,
Waterford Historical Society, St.Johnsbury History & Heritage
Center with Tools, Blacksmith Craig Marcotte, Canaan Historical Society
10:30 1st Lumberjack Demo
10:30 Beth Kanell tells stories of George Van Dyke, “lumber king of McIndoes”
11:00 Helen Pike reads from Ruth Park
12:00 Aden Marcotte performs log drive song #2
12:00 Barnet trailblazers providing lunch of hot dogs, hamburgers, cole slaw (?)and baked beans.
12:15 : Grinner Schoppe Tribute by Schoppe descendants
12:30: Bayley Hazen Boys begin with Gary Moore reading from Robert Pike’s books
12:45: 2nd Lumberjack demos
1:00 Beth Kanell tells stories of George Van Dyke, “lumber king of McIndoes”
1:25 Gary Moore reading from Robert Pike's books
1:45: 3rd lumberjack demo
2:00 Gary Moore reading from Robert Pike's books
2: 30 : Bayley Hazen ends
2:30 : Grinner Schoppe tribute #2
3:00 Helen Pike reads Ruth Park,
3:30 Beth Kanell tells stories of George Van Dyke, “lumber king of McIndoes”