And here's one mailed in 1907:
But today's Lower Waterford Road, even though part of the stage route, was once a country lane, as shown in this postcard mailed in 1912:
Later that year, the inn would close -- part of a long intriguing tale told at the Rabbit Hill Inn website, http://www.rabbithillinn.com/about/inn-history -- and in 1957, it reopened, but as a "motor inn" owned by the St. Johnsbury House. Check out the sign on the roof!
In 1968, Ruth and John Carroll owned the inn, and later, Eric and Beryl Charlton:
Here's a Lower Waterford postcard from the 1990s, courtesy of Dave Kanell:
Today's Rabbit Hill Inn innkeepers are Brian & Leslie Mulcahy, and they will host, on November 2, the annual Apres Foliage Fest, an elegant get-together where the tickets and auction raise funds for the Davies Memorial Library, across the road.