Friday, October 28, 2022

A West Waterford Letter from 1902

 "West Waterford" existed as a significant village of Waterford beginning just before the Civil War, when 55 years of settlement created new generations and prosperous business.

Until the middle of the 20th century, post offices in Waterford took up space in the home of whoever the postmaster was at the time. Here is the history of the West Waterford post office, which must have spent many years in the home of Amos B. Carpenter and his wife Cosbi, then their daughter-in-law Mabel:

West Waterford, Caledonia County, Vermont
Established on January 5, 1856
Discontinued on February 28, 1902 (mail to Saint Johnsburg) [sic]
Reestablished on April 8, 1902
Discontinued on June 30, 1905 (mail to Saint Johnsburg) [sic]

Postmasters                  Appointment Dates
                               Through June 30, 1905

Amos B. Carpenter      January 5, 1856
James W. Curtis           April 21, 1862
Amos B. Carpenter      October 31, 1862
Edwin L. Hovey          December 11, 1863
Amos B. Carpenter      August 25, 1864
Cosbi B. Carpenter      August 13, 1884
Cosbi B. Carpenter (Reappointed)    April 8, 1902
Mabel H. Carpenter       July 16, 1903

The shift of West Waterford mail to St. Johnsbury (as it's spelled now) remains in force, a result of how mail was sorted and how carrier routes were laid out.

I purchased this letter from a dealer who specialized in postmarks, so his interest lay in the posted date, January 1902, about five weeks before the first closing of the West Waterford post office. Mabel (Hovey) Carpenter wrote the letter, to Ezra Carpenter, who was in Boston at the time. The letter is now in the hands of the Carpenter family, who maintain a residence in Waterford.



Transcription:

W. Waterford, Vt.

Jan. 21, 1902

My Dear Ned,

    I wonder what you are doing this morning and if it is pleasant in Boston. Up here we are having a snowstorm & I guess we shall have quite a fall by the way it has started.

    Father got home pretty cold last night but he was very happy for everybody signed his paper, Barton Works included, though he had quite a time to get him. He has gone again today.

    I let the children take their dinner so we won't have many to dinner.

    How is your cold? Please be careful and don't take more.

    Miner [Ezra's brother] says there were about sixty down to Frank's and they had a good time.. I didn't go. Miner didn't say a word about how I was to get there & of course I wouldn't to him, but I did think that if Mary had been in my place and she wanted to go you would see that she went. I guess it is just as well for I can hardly wag (excuse the slang) this morning.

    When I went to bed last night I put Miner H. [her son] into my bed. He woke up enough to realize and said "Me over here."

    He laid just as still as a mouse all night. 

    Miss Everding's certificate [probably a teaching certificate] came last night and I sent it to Mr. Taylor today with a letter. Osgood sent a big check and I have sent that over. Will send a letter and Osgood's statement. Miner thinks he is cutting it awfully.

    I must not write more, the dinner needs my attention.

    Much love to my Ned.

            Mabel H. Carpenter


Two years later, Mabel became a widow; the 1910 Census shows her renting a home in St. Johnsbury with her six children.


No comments:

Post a Comment